Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Get your soda with sugar, while supplies last

Props to ProJo blogger Sheila Lennon for her post alerting us that for Passover, Coke puts out a batch sweetened with real sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup. She links to a post with more information about it at Off the Broiler. In case you're not familiar with the problems with high-fructose corn syrup, you can read about it from this article at Sixwise, which also gives links to other information.

For those in Rhode Island who want to buy some of the Passover Coke, I found some at the Stop & Shop on Branch Avenue in Providence and the Shaw's off of North Main Street in Providence. I posted a couple of comments on Sheila's blog about my initial unsuccessful searches for it in stores in some of the suburbs. I didn't check any other stores once I found it tonight, but I would imagine that some of the other stores in that part of Providence might have some.

The irony for me is that I actually have almost entirely given up drinking sodas starting last summer, after having been addicted to them for many years. These days I will have one only very rarely. But I bought a couple of two-liter bottles of this special batch and will no doubt drink them. Still not good for me, but better than the regular stuff at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come to Canada - all of our Coke (and all pop, I think) is sugar sweetened, not corn syrup-sweetened. I'm not sure why it is, though.