Sunday, July 23, 2006

Letter of the day

Great letter in Sunday's ProJo:
Snobby pictures consume space

The Journal keeps running pictures from the National Museum of American Illustration, in Newport, on its Commentary pages. Consider the recent F.X. Leyendecker illustration of two well-dressed boys golfing. I rather suspect it is an image of how members of The Journal editorial board view themselves, and in that respect they are undoubtedly correct.

Hahahahahaha!
However, bear in mind that every time The Journal consumes valuable real estate with these images, it has deprived its readership of one of my brilliant letters.
CHARLES PINNING
Providence
You're wrong, Mr. Pinning. Rather, those images deprive their readers of yet another random letter from Mr. Saul Ricklin of Bristol, who has had approximately seventeen published in the last twelve months.

On edit: I remembered an Achorn column that had talked about how they choose which letters to run, and I finally found it here. Honestly, it seems like their policy gives the layout editor a lot of power. Perhaps that's why Ricklin gets published so often -- the short comments are easy to fit into leftover spaces.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I rather suspect it is an image of how members of The Journal editorial board view themselves, and in that respect they are undoubtedly correct."

Hahaha, brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I just came across the comment about my letters. Yes they like my brevity but I hope also what I have to say - and i have had a few long ones. Saul Ricklin